Spring is here, and a new season brings new trends. Trends aren’t just limited to fashion, either. There are also new beauty trends popping up all the time, even if it doesn’t feel like it, since most of us wear the same makeup every day, whether we’re going to the beach or attending a gala (guilty). Alas, spring makeup is alive and well.
Surprisingly, most makeup trends are inspired by the designers and runway shows of fashion month. These trends are then perpetuated by celebrities and influencers, and the next thing you know, everyone is rocking the same elements that create an “it” look.
There were many beauty looks seen on the runway this past SS/2018 fashion month, including glitter eyeliner (hello, early 2000s!), pastel eyeshadows, bold under-eye liner, and even yellow eyeshadow — something we didn’t think anyone could wear without looking insane until we saw it with our own eyes.
While I could teach you how to do one of these bold spring makeup looks, I think it’s best to collect the most common element from the shows and create a look that’s wearable day-to-day without your significant other/co-workers/friends thinking you’ve gone mad.
Let’s call this spring it look… glow-n-glitter.
The product breakdown — Bali Body BB Cream, e.l.f Dewy Drops, NYX Wonder Stick, Essence Sun Club Shimmer Bronzer, Glossier Boy Brow, NYX Pigments, L’Oreal Lash Paradise, Gigi Hadid x Maybelline Taura Lipstick, Fenty Killawatt Trophy Wife Highlight.
Here’s how to achieve it this spring makeup look.
- Start by creating the perfect glowing base. To do so, mix BaliBody BB Cream (I like this one because it has some bronzer in it) and a few drops of e.l.f Dewy Drops (one of my fav makeup products ever).
- To add some dimension to your face, grab your favorite contour product — I like the NYX Wonder Stick in the shade Universal when I’m doing a glowy look. Contour your cheekbones, jawline, and the upper portion of your forehead, and blend until you can’t blend anymore.
- To add more of a glow, pick up a shimmer bronzer and apply it all over, focusing mostly on the areas you just contoured.
- The days of the perfect Instagram brow are long over, and fluffy, natural looking eyebrows are in. Brush your eyebrows up using your go-to tinted eyebrow mascara. Boy Brow by Glossier is a favorite of many beauty bloggers and celebs.
- Apply some glitter to your eyelids. NYX has beautiful pigments in a variety of different colors. For this look, stick to neutrals like gold, champagne, or peach. You may need an eyeshadow primer to prevent fallout.
- Top off your glitter eye look with the best mascara ever: L’Oreal Lash Paradise. According to a commercial I saw, they sell this mascara once every six seconds. I’ve used this almost every day since it came out and I’m still impressed by it. It makes your eyelashes look fanned and fluffy and is very buildable, making it the perfect one-coat wonder, or six-coat stunner. (I just made up that little verse, but really, it’s that good.)
- For the lips, stick to something nude and neutral, and top with your favorite glitter gloss. Gigi Hadid’s Maybelline lipsticks don’t disappoint, and the Taura shade is the perfect cool-toned pink nude. I also still have a thing for Victoria’s Secret lip glosses. I swear, they’re the shiniest.
- Lastly, set it all off with a highlighter. While normally I’d tell you to pick whatever you like/already have, I highly recommend Fenty Beauty Killawatt Highlighter in the shade Trophy Wife, because everyone is wearing it, and it really takes the glow-n-glitter trend to the next level. The yellow tone makes it a little bolder than a regular highlighter and people will just know it’s the on-trend Fenty product.
- To complete the entire look, set with a dewy setting spray. If you have oily skin, I’d skip the dewy spray and apply a matte spray instead. I love the Hard Candy setting sprays for this. (I spray the brightening dewy one all over my body in the summer months.)